Reflections on Happiness

I was talking to a friend today, and he revealed that a couple of years ago, he had "everything," but for some reason, he wasn't happy. Further into the conversation, I asked whether not feeling challenged in life had anything to do with it, and he replied affirmatively, and revealed he is much happier now.

These past months, I've been much happier than I was during my younger years, but I get bouts of sadness / depression when reflecting on events that I wish happened differently. At once, I am both grateful that these things have happened, but I am also overcome with feelings that "I failed."

I've been reading inspirational articles that I'm trying to put into practice for myself, but I also remember the words from someone who still inspires me.

Main learnings:
1. Happiness must come from within. No external things shalt determine thy happiness.
2. Happiness is the present. Take in the beauty of the now.

When I ponder about what it is that makes me happy, I realize it's not the money or the time itself that make me happy. Money gives me the power to make purchases that make me happy, and time allows me to pursue the endeavors that make me happy. However, I am not a money-driven person, and having too much freetime on my hands (and no idea on how to invest it productively) can depress me, while having very little freetime stresses me out.

It is only then that I realize autonomy, combined with intrinsic happiness and being able to take in life as it happens, are main sources of happiness for me. The days I plan my evenings to attend an event for self-enrichment and professional improvement don't make me as happy as spontaneously taking back my time in the form of hikes around the city. Perhaps the elated emotion is due to exercise, or being able to indulge in an experience I've been craving, one that I dictate myself.

Now, it's time for reflection. I found an article that asked a few different questions, and thought I'd share my answers as a snapshot in time.

  • What is the best thing that happened to me so far:
    • Today: Balanced a lunch of delicious Indian food with a great hike.
    • This Past Week: Made time to re-learn something old (HTML/CSS) and learn something new (iOS).
    • This Month: Securing a fun freelancing gig.
    • 2015: Made professional progress at work, made a conscious decision to partake in community service and social good.
    • Ever: Being able to live, experience, and go after my dreams in life.
  • What are five things I like about me? 
    • Resourcefulness
    • Attention to Detail
    • Creativity
    • Dedication
    • Loyalty
  • How are three ways others would describe me? 
    • Nice girl
    • Lethal ninja
    • Full of surprises
  • Finish this sentence: My dream is…
    • ...to travel the world while working.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comicon 2008

Existence of Chinese Morality?

Bitterness and Fear - Dreams #0002: Heat Motifs