Reflection: Jan 2019 to Dec 2021

I haven't posted in awhile, so I'll try to summarize the fun, growth, and challenges from the past few years.


2019

Highlights

  • I started the new year in Egypt, complete with a cruise down the Nile and much visitation of the world's greatest wonders.

  • I continued my Classpass membership, enjoying 3 workouts a week at a reasonable price, along with utilizing the workplace gym on a weekly basis.

  • In April, I began therapy for personal growth. It was a positive experience that helped me overcome many challenges.

  • I took a trip to China and my whole family indulged me in taking traditional Chinese portraits. It was a day-long activity that I greatly enjoyed.

    • While in China, we also stopped by Maldives for a tropical island adventure. It was a wonderful getaway, and I was also able to connect with a new startup client while abroad.

  • Later in April, I started private singing lessons with a private teacher and became member of a studio that offers vocal coaching. I stayed with the studio until September, and stopped private coaching in December. Later in August, I started a series of singing classes at my local college, which I enjoyed due to the live performance nature and being able to sing with an accompanist. 

  • In May, I visited Vegas and had a fancy time.

  • In June, I completed a 545 mile bike ride and enjoyed a week of camaraderie with people cheering riders on around the corner, scenic roads, highway shoulders, fancy campgrounds full of hot shower vans and hot, delicious meals. 

    • In late January, while passing by a banner at my work lobby, I saw a 545 mile bike challenge and it sparked my curiosity. After asking several questions, I found out about the fundraising + week-long camping/bike ride event and decided to learn more at the local event expo.

    • The curiosity continued to build and I signed up for the ride 2 weeks later. I trained for the event and learned how to properly ride a road bike. After some neighborhood riding and 4 training rides ranging from 20ish to 70ish miles, I was readyish. 

    • Despite hustling for dollars via fundraising events and annoying my coworkers, I almost didn't make the fundraising cutoff, but with the help of my then-boyfriend and a generous donation from the CEO, I was able to attend the event.

  • In September, I did a lightning talk presentation at my work's internal conference, as well as a fireside chat with two others. I felt happy that I could get these opportunities to do more public speaking.

  • In November, I attended a meditation retreat that taught me the basics of zen meditation in many forms, and I discovered a tasty new tea that I now enjoy (Good Earth Sweet & Spicy Herbal Tea). After the retreat, I later discovered that I worried less, and this effect lasted several months without further meditation.

  • In December, I wrapped up the year with a trip to Antartica, thus completing my journey to the 7 continents. I enjoyed the frozen landscapes and wild animals, and it was mindblowing that we sailed into Deception Island, a former volcano, then took a polar plunge in the frigid waters.

  • Outside of these highlights, I also watched the Hairspray Musical in SF, TLC/Nelly/Flo Rida in Mountain View, and Ali Wong in LA. I attended a few hackathons that year and was a finalist in one. I also visited Alcatraz for the first time and enjoyed imagining the lives of prisoners in the olden times.


Lowlights

  • I injured my knee the year before and started physical therapy. While it was a success, I re-injured it on my bike ride, and had to get more physical therapy.

  • I got some dental work done and did not enjoy that experience.

  • My long distance relationship ended and I sought never to attempt another one again.

  • I subscribed to too many subscription boxes and 3 years later, still going through them. 🤪


2020

Highlights

  • I continued to attend singing class, but in March, the classes moved online.

  • In January, I started a jazz improvisation class focused on using instruments to jam. I learned the basics of the different foundations of improvisation and was able to hear how others in the class interpreted each aspect.

  • In February, I met my current significant other and we started to take Bachata lessons together. 

  • Also in this month, I took an auto care class, so I know a few basics.

  • At the end of February, I was able to go to my other work campus to run a few studies with my team, followed by synthesis of the results. Outside of this immediate study, I was happy to work on multiple impactful projects during this year.

  • Starting in March, due to the pandemic, my partner and I were able to explore more activities of interest that we may not have done as much before. These activities included hiking around the Bay Area, cooking and experimenting with recipes, completing puzzles, and a few dance sessions.

  • In April, we celebrated some birthdays with homemade dinner and cakes, which were so delicious.

  • In July, we took a trip to Lassen National Park, seeing and smelling the earth's glorious fumes. 

  • Starting in Fall, I had major singing breakthroughs because one of my teachers explained vocal concepts in a way I could understand. I started to understand good technique for belting, vibrato, and how to use the techniques as a stylistic choice. 

  • In October, my partner and I walked through a giant corn maze and "won" some free pumpkins. We then carved them, then saved pumpkin pieces for culinary creations. While my partner traveled, I made cookies, cheesecake, and other goodies to share with him and others.

  • In November, I completed a certificate for Web Design and Development, which I've been meaning to formally learn for a long time.

  • In December, we visited Pinnacles National Park on a day trip, another beautiful quest outside.

  • During the holiday season, I decorated a Christmas tree for the first time and exchanged gifts with my partner. We sauntered down the residential streets that were decorated with festive lights.

  • A delectable exchange of cookies also happened in December. We met with friends at a park, where each party had baked cookies and exchanged it with each other.

  • Also in December, I started to attend a different group voice class with different teachers that rotate.

  • I attended some interesting music shows this year, including a jazz piano concert and an a cappella collegiate competition a la Pitch Perfect.

  • The social distancing helped to reduce my stress and pressures to be social.

Lowlights

  • The start of the pandemic was a stressful time - I felt lots of confusion and fear related to potential health risks. I limited my exposure by getting grocery pickup and staying indoors in trusted company.

  • My classes and other activities started to shut down or move online in March. It was difficult to find things to do, especially when rainy or during fire season, when we were stuck at home.

  • My individual fitness level deteriorated. Outside of having weekly hikes, I exercised less and gained weight. I also walked less, leading to foot problems.

  • I was stressed out this year from taking on too many projects, but I was able to finish what I started. One of the more notable aspirations was condensing my experiences within my portfolio, which was not an easy task.

  • There were some unfortunate circumstances that happened at work, including a reorg. However, that transfer led me to join a team that would make impactful experiences related to health.

2021

Highlights

  • I interviewed profusely earlier in the year and in March, I started a new job.

  • I developed an euphoric, gas-wasting, but amusing hobby of scrolling through my local Buy Nothing group for goodies I need/want. Notable finds include monitors, wireless keyboard, whiteboard, back massager, curated teas, formal dresses, and other random things. I've also given away many of my own items, with the most random being a rock.

  • In April, my partner and I got our 1st and 2nd COVID vaccines, followed by boosters in October.

  • Also in April, I started to manage an intern at work, while receiving some mentorship from another seasoned professional. I learned a lot and was grateful to have these experiences.

  • As another year of birthday celebrations rolled by, we indulged in Statebird Provisions and omakase takeout.

  • In May, I went camping with friends, and it was the most extended time I've had with people in a long time.

  • In August, my partner and friends went to Utah to explore several national parks that I had not seen in years. I saw the awe-inspiring sights of driving into Arches National Park, with the perfect sunlight hitting it, and hiking to Delicate Arch for the first time. We also went through a scary path to see Natural Bridges Monument, with a river fording adventure on the way back.

  • In November, I went into the office for the first time, and was dazzled by all the free stuff and amenities. I felt as if I had 'made it' to the startup world like I'd dreamed several years ago.

  • Also in November, I traveled to Kauai for the first time and made a quick stop to Oahu. We explored all the areas of Kauai, though my favorites were the inner tube adventure down the sugar cane watering line, and Na Pali Coast. Some of us also went shark cage diving, which was a thrill, and not as scary as anticipated.

  • Before Thanksgiving break, I met my partner's siblings and cousins, a lively bunch, for the first time. We also had dinner with our respective households, which was a fun way to celebrate after being antisocial for a year.

  • Also in November, I had a breakthrough in therapy and overcame some previous issues.

  • In December, I took a trip with my partner to visit Miami. Enjoyed our getaway and meeting up with my friend, fancy dining, swimming with one manatee and spotting 5 in another area, going through the Dali art, wandering around the Ringling Museums, and trying Cuban and homecooked/restaurant Haitian food.

  • On New Year's Eve, we rang in the new year in downtown Miami, where Cuban artists were singing.

  • This year, we were able to partake in more indoor adventures, including restaurant dining and an old school R&B concert featuring Ginuwine, 112, and 702. We also enjoyed an outdoor Maroon 5 concert for $20, yay.


Lowlights

  • I had an increase in stress related to personal issues, while professional stress tapered off after the first three months.

  • I continued with singing lessons, but after summer, felt less motivated to continue, so I stopped the local online classes, while continuing to take the group class to continue my learning.

  • I had too much going on at the start of the year, from trying to complete another e-learning certificate and balancing a professional development course with the job search, but I was able to successfully complete my job search.

Aspirations for 2022

  • Prioritizing health - this includes 3-4 regular workouts a week, eating mindfully, and making 8 hours of sleep an ongoing habit.

  • Continuing to learn about things that I enjoy - music production, practicing art, learning to cook, and finding places to explore and wander.

    • Cooking - Dishes to Master

      • Omelets

      • Chicken Breast

      • Salmon

  • Getting out of my shell - taking improv courses to refresh my social skills and learn new things I can apply to my life. Also learning to collaborate with others on creative projects.

  • Personal and professional growth - continuing to work through difficult conversations and take on more responsibilities when appropriate. Also continuing to build on my relationship and grow with my partner.


Minor Things

  • Active archival of my life - vigilantly backing up photos, portfolio pieces, among other things.

  • Random endeavors, if it's safe enough:

    • Outdoor survival course

    • Cooking classes in person

    • Continuing in person classes (music production, among others)

Here's to another year 🥂✨, and hoping for good news on the pandemic front.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comicon 2008

Existence of Chinese Morality?

Bitterness and Fear - Dreams #0002: Heat Motifs